Yep, it's high summer now, but guess what? Soon the ol' school bells will be ringing again and kids will be going back to class.
What? They don't have school bells anymore? Shame, that. Such a lovely piece of nostalgia!
Okay, so the buzzers will be buzzing and kids will be going back to class. How's that?
Time to think about new school year wardrobes, supplies, and oh yes, health.
Here are Ten Tips for Ensuring a Healthy, Safe and Successful School Year:
1. Make sure your kids get a healthy breakfast before they dash out the door. Yes, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day, especially for children.
2. Make sure they have healthy lunches and snacks. Don't rely on them to make good choices. A candy bar and soda is not a healthy lunch.
3. If your kids make their own lunches, be sure to keep plenty of healthy choices available to them, like fruit, yogurt, nuts, etc.
4. Plan ahead to take advantage of any tax breaks your state may offer on back to school clothing and supplies.
5. If your child uses a computer, have it thoroughly checked out and routine maintenance done before they take it to class. This will save a lot of headaches down the road (trust me on this!).
6. A new backpack for the new school year? How about researching some eco-friendly backpacks this time? There are lots of good alternatives that are made from recycled and/or reclaimed materials, such as old parachute and billboard materials.
7. Don't wait till the last minute to pick up new school supplies. Chances are every other mom in town is down at the local discount variety store getting them too and your options will be severely limited to what's available.
8. Does your school require school uniforms? Time to start planning for them now. Your child may have grown an inch or two since last year and those old uniforms, while still perfectly good, may no longer fit.
9. Be sure to check out whatever immunization records your school may require. Getting a doctor's appointment at the last minute can be a risky proposition.
10. Give some serious consideration to having your child's eyes checked before the school year begins. Nothing saps a child's enthusiasm for school like not being able to see properly.
Learning is visual, so eye care is critical! Twenty-five percent of kids struggle with vision problems that impact learning. Eighty percent of everything a child learns in his first 12 years comes through his eyes. If corrective lenses are needed, select lighter, stronger and safer lenses such as Airwear. Airwear lenses offer safe, durable lenses for children, those who like to play sports and those who push their lenses to the limit.
Airwear polycarbonate lenses are a product of Essilor, the leading manufacturer of optical lenses in the United States. Airwear lenses are light, safe and embrace environmentally conscious manufacturing practices.
Designed for comfort, performance, protection and style, Airwear lenses made of polycarbonate material are 43 percent lighter and 25% thinner than standard plastic lenses.
Block 100% of UVA/UVB rays
Easy to clean
Airwear lenses are better than standard plastic. They are virtually unbreakable and lighter than regular lenses, and are the ultimate choice for every lifestyle for you or your child. Airwear lenses offer unparalleled protection. They are 12x stronger than standard plastic lenses with 100% UV protection.
Many eye injuries are preventable. The American Academy of Ophthalmology reports that more than 100,000 people sustain eye injuries each year. Airwear lenses are tough and durable — so tough that NASA uses the same material to construct visors for astronauts. Furthermore, 12 to 15 million people annually become blind from cataracts--and about 20% of those cases may be caused or compounded by sun exposure. Airwear lenses provide 100% protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays.
Feel the difference. You will see and feel the difference when wearing Airwear lenses. They are lighter and 25% thinner than regular lenses. Airwear lenses are as versatile as they come. It’s all possible with Airwear lenses. Airwear lenses offer safe, durable lenses for you and your children.
Airwear lenses are compatible with the most trusted vision brands and designs, such as Varilux®, Crizal®, Xperio™, DEFINITY and Transitions.
Now that I've got you thinking about how to make sure your child has a healthy, safe and successful school year, why not share your ideas with others and you might win some big prizes!
Airwear is sponsoring an essay contest at www.LighterSaferGreener.com for consumers, encouraging parents and care-givers to share how they plan to help their kids have a healthy, safe and successful school year. Families can submit their thoughts by visiting LighterSaferGreener.com. One grand prize winner will be awarded $1,000, while 10 first prize winners will receive vouchers for Airwear lenses valued up to $400. On LighterSaferGreener.com you can learn more about Airwear’s eco-friendly practices and view more tips to ensure kids have a healthy, safe and successful school year.
I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Airwear blogging program, making me eligible to get a $25 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, visit http://airwear.twittermoms.com/about.