July 25, 2010

My Review of Bell & Howell Brasstone Sunlight Floor Lamp

Originally submitted at CSN Stores

So much like sunshine, it feels like you're on vacation! The Bell & Howell Brasstone Sunlight Floor lamp could be the most important advance in lamps since the invention of the light bulb. The new lighting technology simulates outdoor sunlight, which is balanced across the entire...


Doesn't Deliver on the Hype

By tnshadylady from Tennessee on 7/25/2010

 

3out of 5

Pros: Sturdy, Easy Assembly

Cons: Limited Illumination, Short Cord

Best Uses: Reading

Describe Yourself: Bargain Hunter

Received in a timely manner. Box was HEAVY! Assembly required, but not a problem. Pieces snap or screw together easily. Base is heavy (that's what gave the box so much weight) for stability. The freearm swings very easily - almost too easily. If you're carrying the lamp from one place to another, be careful it doesn't swing out and damage something or someone in the process.

Illumination does look natural, but the field is so limited this lamp will only be good for reading or hobby work with the lamp right beside your space. With all the build-up of this lamp that I read before making this decision, I guess I expected an "indoor sun". That's not what I got. I got a good sturdy swing-arm lamp suited for being very close to the action.

Which is okay. I'm not disappointed in the lamp itself, only in the fact that I expected more out of the illumination. My apartment has really dark paneling, carpets, and furniture, and I need something to lighten up the "cave". I hoped this lamp might be it, but it is not. Fine for close work, but if you expect it to light your cave, it won't do that.

Also, it requires a special type of bulb that I've never seen before, so I don't know how practical this lamp is going to be in the long run if I can't find replacement bulbs or they are expensive to order.

So, bottom line is that the lamp is fine, no problems or complaints, but I expected more out of the illumination feature. If all you need is a reading lamp or hobby lamp, this will be fine. But be aware that the specialty bulb may be hard to replace. Would I recommend it based on the hype? No.

(legalese)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts!